FRIDAY, MARCH 27, 2020 9AM – 5PM
Students, young adults, teachers, parents, others
Educators: BRING YOUR CLASSES!
Located at the Holiday Inn-Meadowlands
(Across from the Meadowlands Exposition Center)
300 Plaza Drive, Secaucus, NJ 07094
Please address any questions or concerns with the agency POC listed on the announcement.
19126 La Spezia Italy
CMRE – Junior Scientist to work on underwater acoustic communications
Junior Scientist – Underwater Communication Networks-190907
Primary Location – Italy-La Spezia
NATO Body Centre for Maritime Research and Experimentation (CMRE)
Salary (Pay Basis) : 4,135.87Euro (EUR) Monthly
1 POST CONTEXT
The Centre for Maritime Research and Experimentation (CMRE) is an executive body of the Science and Technology Organization (STO) and is governed by the provisions of the STO Charter. Within the framework of the STO in-house delivery business model, the CMRE organizes and conducts scientific research and technology development, centred on the maritime domain, delivering innovative and field-tested S&T solutions to address defence and security needs of the Alliance.
The expected scientific focus is the area of underwater acoustic communications specifically targeting the physical layer aspects (sound propagation, channel modelling, modulation, coding, signal processing) with the aim to contribute to the underwater communications capability within CMRE and the NATO Nations.
1.1 MAIN ACCOUNTABILITIES
Under supervision and given instructions from the Project Leader, the incumbent may research underwater communication solutions to support researchers in the Anti-Submarine Warfare, Mine Countermeasures, Maritime Surveillance, and Military Oceanography and will perform the following duties in the context of underwater acoustic communications:
- develop and test adaptive communications via machine learning
- develop and test physical layer cryptography
- analyse the developed algorithms with real data and report results
- author papers in peer-reviewed journals/conferences
The incumbent will be required to perform duties at sea on-board CMRE’s or other scientific vessels. The incumbent may be required to undertake deployments at short notice and in excess of 3 days duration in support of experimentation, military operations and exercises, and/or on TDY assignments, both within and outside NATO boundaries
2 QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
Ph. D. or MSc in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or related field.
Ph.D. with no work experience;
Alternatively: minimum 3 years relevant post MSc work experience.
Detailed knowledge and experience in:
- Signal processing techniques for digital communications such as coding/decoding, modulation/demodulation, coherent/non-coherent detection
- Executing simulations of wireless multipath channels either in Matlab or Python language
- Different operating systems (Windows, Linux)
- Documenting the work done in short papers, refereed scientific journals and internal/external presentations
- Number of scientific publications: 2 or more
- English SLP 3333 (Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing)
2.2 DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Machine learning techniques for adaptive communications
- Spread spectrum techniques for secure communications
- Signal processing for physical layer security (PLS)
- Analysis of real acoustic data (water or air)
- Participation in experimental campaigns
3 REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
- Working with People – Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well;
- Relating and Networking – Easily establishes good relationships with customers and staff; relates well to people at all levels; builds wide and effective networks of contacts; uses humor appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others;
- Problem solving – Produces new ideas, approaches or insights, a range of solutions to problems and seek opportunities for organizational improvement;
- Flexibility and Resilience – Should be able to adapt to changing circumstances in the working environment and in the business;
- Analytical Thinking – Shows evidence of clear analytical thinking and should rapidly learn and manage knowledge effectively.
- Communication – Speaks clearly and fluently; expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence. Writes clearly, succinctly and correctly.
- Managerial Responsibilities – Plans most daily work details within given priorities and under some regular supervision. Work may include a degree of planning and coordination.
- Professional Contacts – Regular professional contacts with others inside and outside the Centre on functional matters. Solicits/gives information and provides advice/guidance. May negotiate at own level and should use initiative.
- Contribution to the Objectives – Contribute to the objectives of the Organization by providing support and assistance in programme of work execution, providing information allowing others to commit resources of the Organization.
4 WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work will be performed in an office, laboratory or workshop environment
- The work could be conducted also on research or military vessels (in port or at sea), or deployed field laboratories
- Slightly undesirable working conditions may apply at times. The risk of injury is categorized as: Light Risk
- The nature of this position may require the staff member at times to be called upon to travel for work and/or to work outside normal office hours
- (Flexibility Clause) In order for the organization to deal with emergent requirements, the incumbent may be required to perform other related duties as directed (in particular, the incumbent can expect to work as a member of Working Groups, Project Teams and similar organizational units for defined periods of time).
- Annual TDY Requirement: The incumbent may be called upon to go on temporary duty (TDY), both within and outside NATO’s boundaries
5 WHAT DO WE OFFER
- A world-class research facility located in the sea port of La Spezia, Italy supported by two specialised research vessels.
- An exciting place in which to work situated at an ideal location, the port of La Spezia, Italy, enabling synergy with regional and global academic institutes and industry.
- Salary and conditions of employment will be in accordance with the NATO Civilian Personnel Regulations (NCPR), which includes a rewarding salary and a comprehensive system of allowances, supplements and insurances to support families and, in case of expatriated staff, offers an interesting “expatriate” package.
- A generous annual leave and, (where eligible) home leave.
- The successful candidate will be offered a three years’ definite duration contract, which may be renewed for subsequent periods subject to business needs and satisfactory performance.
- Applicants who prove to be competent for the post but who are not successful in this competition may be offered an appointment in another post of similar nature, which might become vacant in the near future, albeit at the same or lower grade, provided they meet the necessary requirements.
6 RECRUITMENT PROCESS
- Please note that we can only accept applications from nationals of NATO member countries.
- Applications (including the most relevant publications, the diplomas – stating the highest level of education) for this vacancy are to be submitted using the E-recruitment system.
- Appointment will be subject to receipt of a security clearance (provided by the national Authorities of the selected candidate) and approval of the candidate’s medical file by the CMRE Medical Adviser.
7 ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- CMRE values diverse backgrounds and perspectives and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and talented workforce. We welcome applications of nationals from all Member States and strongly encourage women to apply.
- Selected candidates are expected to be role models of integrity, and to promote good governance through ongoing efforts in their work.
For any queries, please contact CMRE Recruitment Team at: email@example.com
To learn more about the CMRE and our work, please visit our website: www.cmre.nato.int